Growth is an unique and inspiring phenomena. As the essence of nature of life itself, it symbolises our constant drive to develop and improve. It is the creative force that causes a seedling to become an adult. Growth is fundamental a part of each of us. And when you think about it what is alternative at best stagnation at worse decline? Growth is the only option.
In order to grow you have to have a point of view about the future. Standing still is the fastest way of moving backwards in a rapidly changing world. Taekwondo principles are no different to what a successful person is seeking. The belts structure is hence introduced to show mile stones achieved in ones development.
- WHITE represents the INNOCENCE of the beginner who does not yet have any knowledge of taekwondo
- YELLOW represents the EARTH in which the seed of taekwondo is planted, symbolising a student’s latent abilities.
- GREEN represents a GROWING SHOOT, symbolising the student’s abilities as they start to develop.
- BLUE represents the HEAVENS or SKY towards which the shoot is reaching, as the student attempts to reach beyond competence to excellence.
- RED represents DANGER, a warning to the student to exercise self-control and for opponents to beware.
- BLACK represents MATURITY, the opposite of the innocence of the White Belt.
|Rank Age (years)
|Time period (years)
|3 – 4
In addition to the above, the practitioner has to demonstrate technical excellence, mental maturity, high sprit as well as contribution to one’s club and organisation, before being invited for grading.